Thursday, February 21, 2013

FAQ Volume 1

We get a lot of the same questions from different people. Seems like a lot of you want to know the same things! Figured I'd post some common questions and answers.

Does he know his name?
Doesn't really seem like it. Part of the reason is probably because he has a bunch of nicknames and we use those more than his name.

Does he eat "real" food yet?
Nope, not really. We are believers that food before one is just for fun. Meaning attempts to eat are a sensory experience. We are doing baby led weaning, which means skipping purées and baby cereal and starting with self fed normal solid foods. He doesn't meet the readiness requirements for this yet. The premise is that when his body is ready for food, he will meet the requirements, the main being a desire to eat. He occasionally shows interest in something that I am eating, but spits out anything he breaks off. He enjoys "sharing" my banana every morning, but doesn't swallow anything. I'm sure he will start eating by the time he is one, which is when the World Health Organization recommends solids. Yep, I know this isn't the norm for feeding babies, but it works for us. He is gaining and growing just fine!

His belly or bottom looks awfully chubby in pictures. His diapers look different.
We exclusively cloth diaper. Cloth is a lot bigger than disposables, which makes him look chunkier. Thanks if you noticed his diapers!! Part of the reason I love cloth is because it is SO cute. He has quite the collection of diapers. Modern cloth is super easy to use, almost all my diapers go on with snaps or Velcro just like disposable diapers do. Yes I wash them myself. The hospital he was born in had cloth, so he has never worn a disposable and hopefully never will. I don't even own them.

Is he crawling, sitting, rolling, and so on?
He sits for a little bit by himself (usually shortened because he reaches for something and loses his balance). He can roll from front to back and back to front when he feels like it, which isn't often. He loves to roll to his sides and can spin in a circle while rolling. He doesn't have interest in crawling yet. Big babies are often slower to meet physical milestones as the have more weight and mass to move around. He isn't late on anything yet though.

Hope that helped with some of your deep and burning questions. Have more? Let me know! I'll do another FAQ and solve the mysteries. :)

Here's a cute baby picture to end the post with


No comments:

Post a Comment